Yingele...

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Me'ah Filthy She'arim



Please don't be misled by the exaggerated title. Most of Me'ah Shearim's inhabitants are really nice people. Hasidim, full of kindness, happiness and holiness. The many open guesthouses and all the free-for-all kitchens are just a tiny proof of the tens of non-profit gemachim that are ran by the masterminds of Geulah. It's a real shame I needed to adjust my title just because of a rotten minority.

The sun is boiling hot, yet a nice and calm spring breeze is blowing the papers and dust of the streets. As I walk between all the black-hatted, long peyesd Hasidim with no glasses on (some ultra orthodox men take their glasses off on the street, so not to see anything untsniusdik), I spot the countless large billboards decorating Jerusalem's noisy and busy avenues. For a short moment I stand still, glimpsing at the posters of all shapes and colours. As my innocent brown eyes slowly scan the bold letters, my blood slowly starts to boil.

Between the ridiculous yellow papers advertising a new cure for gas and constipation problems, I am informed by big capitalised oiseyes that there is a new ban doing it's way round town. Amnan Yitzchak is a new hazard for Judaism! His crime: In one of his magnificent public speeches he made a sarcastic comment, making fun of the ridiculous kosher stamped cellphones. There you go. The great Amnan Yitzchak a Shaigetz! He made fun of Kosher Mobiles Inc.

Those pashkevilen, as they are called in Yiddish slang, are very educational. Today they taught me some mussar! You know why Egged Bus Number 2 exploded two years ago? A bus crammed with kids, mamma's and papa's blew up on it's way to the Kotel. Well, according to this Jerushalmi poster, it happened as a punishment for an unacceptable pirtze that is ruining Judaism. That Bus Number 2 wasn't a mehadrin bus. The men didn't sit in the front, separated from the women who sit at the back. Need I say more?

Of to the next poster. Between all the Achareimois-Kedoishim-Emoir Levaya posters, there is a notice from the Vaad Hachinuch. Beware! Take care of your holy kids, they shouldn't participate in the 'impure' parties, that our 'enemies', those 'evil' tsionim are organising on this 'terrible' day. Talking about Yom Hoatsmaout, there was a special Tisha Bav ceremony in a couple of shuls in Jerusalem. These nutters are also the ones responsible for the 'Jews aren't Zionists' campaign. You live in Zion, you're a Zionist. You don't like it? So why don't you just go and pack all your Al Hagule Veal Hatmure books (Satmar book against Zionism) and get the hell out of here!

Radio Kol Chai, the Orthodox radio station that broadcasts solely hasidic music, is according to the Badatz, and I quote "Worse than any missionary group, this hazardous and evil radio is turning our next generation into chiloinim". Okaaaayyyy. I don't listen to Kol Chai anymore. The Rabbis banned it. Now I enjoy Radio Jerusalem 101.

Oh well, that's part of being back. I thank the Lord that I'm not part of their messed up crowd. Maybe it's not such a bad idea afterall, to take my glasses off when walking through a Jerusalem boulevard.

22 Comments:

  • truly well said .. its true that mea shearim is full of chesed and gemachim and they are truly great people, BUT THERE IS A MINORTY THAT IS BAD AND FULL OF CRAP

    By Blogger anti_chusid, at Sunday, May 15, 2005 6:44:00 PM  

  • 101 used to have great music at night between 9 and 11 - ambatyat ketzev

    By Blogger The Rabbi's Kid, at Sunday, May 15, 2005 7:08:00 PM  

  • MUSIC!!!!! TRK.. Sefirah!!!! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!! :)

    By Blogger ghetto, at Sunday, May 15, 2005 9:44:00 PM  

  • rabbis kid . they still have ambatyat ketzev

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, May 15, 2005 10:50:00 PM  

  • hey anonymous, is it still good? elad amedi? klubsolutely?

    ghetto, I don't believe music/radio is assur in the sefirah, it's one of those things like kitniyot that is a recent addition, is murky historically and people focus on them far more than loshon hora or veahavta lereyacha kamocha. I know u r kidding BTW.

    Ying, keep them coming.

    TRK

    By Blogger The Rabbi's Kid, at Sunday, May 15, 2005 11:42:00 PM  

  • Yinglele,

    Local wisdom says that the pashkevilen pasted on the walls of all those old buildings in Meah Shearim keeps those buildings from falling apart.

    Personally I find the pashkevilen amusing. I see that you do as well.

    By Blogger Cosmic X, at Monday, May 16, 2005 10:22:00 AM  

  • Thanks for that report. I really liked it. Please do it more often. Tell us about all the new posters on a regular basis. Maybe set up a dedicated blog 'pashekevilimandposters.com' that will keep us abreast of all the new announcements. You will get a lot of traffic I am sure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, May 16, 2005 4:23:00 PM  

  • Nice reporting.
    I am not so sure I agree with the minority verses majority split. As varies different issues come up, the minority become a different set of people so some where along the lines the down side of most of them show up. I think it is more like that individually the furmmers are nice people, it collectively where they suck.

    The taking of the glasses reminds me of whet our mashguech use to say “in the road you go with you head down, in the mikvh you go with your head up!!!”

    By Blogger LostSpirit, at Monday, May 16, 2005 8:35:00 PM  

  • Me'ah Ve'achad Efem, Mah She'ata Shomea!

    It's no problemo in the sefirah; Pikuach Nefesh. No Music, No Life.

    Cosmic - You wanna hear the wackiest pashkevil? Some time mid winter a new Shwarma place opened in Geulah. Within 48 hours Jerusalem as decorated with posters. "A chitzpeh! A Shwarma place opened up in our Holy Machane?! Such a Pritzus!"

    Well, the only untsniusdike thing about a Shwarma that closes at 9.30 is the meat on the grill. It's naked.

    Anon - I'm glad you enjoyed it. Re: pashkevilen; there's enough of that garbage on Hydepark.

    Lost - Maskim. But I was scared to say it.

    ying.

    By Blogger yingele, at Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:28:00 AM  

  • While I find the posters entertaining, if they offend you, you could try what my daughter does. She carries her Tanach in her pocket and every free minute sticks it in front of her face. She's studying for the Chidon Hatanach, which I'm sure is roundly condemned in Meah Shearim, if they've heard of it at all.

    Maybe you could get away with Mishnayos, I think they are still acceptable. The Kehati version is specially sized to fit in a shirt pocket, because us Tzioni Da'ati types don't wear jackets.

    By Blogger tuesdaywishes, at Tuesday, May 17, 2005 5:22:00 AM  

  • Yingele, regarding the "minority" you speak about...
    I had my share of being bothered by the hypocricy displayed by some religious Jews. I spoke to a Rabbi who told me that like any group of people, Orthodox Jews have their share of rotten apples. But, he pointed out, although this is sad, and disturbing, at the same time there are so many warm, good hearted, beatiful frum people. His advice to me - stick to those truly good, well intentioned people, and make sure to become one of them.

    By Blogger survivor, at Tuesday, May 17, 2005 5:31:00 AM  

  • BTW...naked meat?

    Maybe I should check it out...

    By Blogger tuesdaywishes, at Tuesday, May 17, 2005 6:11:00 AM  

  • Tuesday,

    Rav Kehati is too tzioni, they won't admit to owning a set or using one (even though it is crucial, I have no idea how people learned Mishnayot before Rav Kehati!)

    Ying, the shtick is Mah Sheata ShoMEAH Veachad FM - gettit?
    Also shewarma is major pritsus, it is a goyish word, both men and women eat it, and competes with burger's bar (mmmmm, burger's bar).

    TRK

    By Blogger The Rabbi's Kid, at Tuesday, May 17, 2005 11:14:00 AM  

  • Tuesday - Once I'll be learning at the right time on the right place, than we'll consider it, okay?

    Oh, and you have amazing kids. How do you-they do it?

    Survivor - Indeed. When I see an honest and real Jew, I feel ever so proud. But...

    Kehati Mishanyos has a blue cover, no? And white paper... Niiii! Tzioni!

    By Blogger yingele, at Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:41:00 PM  

  • Pashgivillim website
    http://www.mechaot.exe.co.il/

    By the way these people are a minority of crack pots who every one suffers from including Satmar sometimes.

    By Blogger Joe, at Tuesday, May 17, 2005 7:02:00 PM  

  • Sorry for bragging about my kids. I don't know where they get get it, except that their dad is a really "temimusdige" guy.

    By Blogger tuesdaywishes, at Tuesday, May 17, 2005 8:48:00 PM  

  • Tuesday - Don't worry. Btw, Tomim Tiyeh Im Hashem Eloikecho. With God one should be a Tomim, but not with others. I hope that's what you meant ;-)

    By Blogger yingele, at Tuesday, May 17, 2005 11:08:00 PM  

  • I was walking through meah shearim on chol hamoed pesach, and I saw many signs up for this trip, especially for the charedi community, to this monkey zoo (or something like that). I kept on seeing chareidim rip down the signs, and I cant understand why--- since when is it pritzus to go on a trip, seperate men and women, and closed to the rest of the public, on chol hamoed???

    By Blogger Behind A Door, at Thursday, May 19, 2005 11:02:00 AM  

  • Behind - The monkeys are naked.

    By Blogger yingele, at Thursday, May 19, 2005 12:50:00 PM  

  • there was a Sukka that the city put up, made up entirely of lights. I dont know how kosher the sukka actually was (there werent any tables in it anway) but it was a beautiful thing and a real kiddush hashem the way the city put up such a huge Sukka. Anyway, I was walking in Geula and I saw a sign that "anyone who walks into that Sukka is a kofer (non-believer) and is putting himself in cherem (ex-communication). I'm actually glad they had the sign cuz I would never have made it there if not.

    By Blogger stillruleall, at Thursday, May 19, 2005 2:56:00 PM  

  • They don't really make their women sit in the back of busses, do they?

    By Blogger brianna, at Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:33:00 PM  

  • B - You would be surprised.

    By Blogger yingele, at Sunday, May 22, 2005 11:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home